Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Reel Side of Christmas

No matter how old I get, I still look forward every year to watching all the classic Christmas movies.

Whether the movies include real people or animated characters - I love them. Whether they are in black and white, or fully colorized, I love them. Whether they are old or new - I love Christmas flicks!

I always get a twinge of excitement about plopping onto the couch, popping some popcorn, grabbing some hot cocoa, and snuggling with the kids, as we fall back in time and watch the same Christmas movies that we have watched dozens, if not hundreds, of times before.

I thought it would be so fun to reminisce about some of my favorite Christmas classics, and yours, and talk about the life lessons we can pull from them.

So for the next few weeks, I am going to focus on the reel (as in movie reel) side of Christmas, so that we can gleam some real spiritual truths.

Believe it or not, from Rudolphs red nose to the Grinches green face to Its a Wonderful Life - there are some important reel truths that line up with Gods Word and biblical significance.

Even though most movies are primarily meant for simply holiday entertainment, I have discovered that if we dig deep, we can find some great nuggets of truth to take to heart.

Before we kick off this holiday movie series on Friday, I would love to know what some of your favorite classic movies are!

Which holiday movies or cartoons bring back the fondest memories for you?

Which ones have life lessons that impacted your heart over time or as a child?

Which ones have impacted your family in years gone by, or changed your perspective about Christmas?

Come on now, be reel!

The Reel Side of ChristmasSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

6 comments:

Emily B (emleepc@yahoo.com) said...

Love: Rudolph, Grinch, Charlie Brown Christmas, Garfield Christmas, Unlikely Angel (dolly Parton is my fave!), and so many more!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a Wonderful Life has to be the best movie of all time. The message in that movie runs very deep. Merry Christmas!!

Shelia B. said...

My all time favorite is White Christmas. The script has so many wonderful hints in it as well. Just love that movie. Also, the Grinch with Jim Carey. Great movie.

ml4estsmommy said...

I remember watching Christmas in Connecticut and Holiday Inn as a young child. Of course, all of the traditional animated ones were a highlight of each Christmas. The one I loved a lot was the Little Drummer Boy. I have most of these now on DVD for my little ones to watch. A new favorite is The Polar Express. -

Allison said...

A few of my favorite are Christmas Vacation, Elf, and Polar Express. Looking forward to reading your perspective on some holiday movies.

Colleen Reske said...

My favorite Christmas movie of all time is The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant and Loretta Young. It is a classic above all classics! The messages are plentiful within the story, but the words of the sermon in the final scene of the movie make my heart wish all the world would live that way. It is a means to achieve true peace on earth.